We pride ourselves on our close-knit veterinary hospital environment with small undergraduate year groups and robust residency and internship training programmes, allowing us to focus on high-quality teaching and research, in addition to providing exceptional clinical care. At the heart of our ethos are a focus on staff and student well-being, job satisfaction and supporting our colleagues to thrive in their chosen field!
- Provision of Higher Education training programmes for staff allowing them to obtain further qualifications in education, e.g. AFHEA/FHEA
- Dynamic flexible working environment with off-clinic provision to support research and teaching roles, or ample study/elective time for residents and interns
- Access to the expertise of the wider University allows One Health and lab-based research collaborations
- First opinion charity medicine service provides routine and emergency healthcare to local eligible animals, whilst also strongly augmenting undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Clear career progression pathways in clinical, teaching and research roles
- Sociable hospital with a good work-life balance
- Supportive supervisors and accessible mental health provision for all members of staff
- Renowned clinical research groups, including Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome and Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy groups.
Organisation aims & mission
The mission of the Department of Veterinary Medicine is to improve the health and welfare of animals and people in the context of the environment they live in and share through the provision of excellence in education, research, clinical practice and outreach.
Our graduate and post-graduate training programmes prepare the next generation of researchers, clinicians and clinician-scientists, and our clinics deliver state-of-the-art medical and surgical treatments for companion animals, equines and food-producing animals.
The Department is committed to the delivery of a world-class education that is based on scientific scholarship, and makes use of cutting-edge teaching methods that are validated through outcomes assessment.
Our researchers work at the forefront of the biomedical sciences, undertaking cross-disciplinary research to address the pre-eminent One Health challenges. The Department is committed to outreach activities that disseminate the results of our scholarship, attract the best and the brightest students irrespective of background, and inform and shape the future of veterinary medicine.