Our team are our greatest asset. We are a very friendly supportive bunch who are dedicated to our calling. Our clients and their pets are very diverse and we feel very privileged to be part of their extended family, as and when they need us.
Located to the North of York and on the edge of the amazing Howardian Hills to the North and the Wolds to the East, your journey to work from any direction is guaranteed to be picturesque. The views from the practice change throughout the seasons and you’ll never get bored of looking at them.
Being an independent practice enables us the flexibility to offer you a role in a real veterinary practice, with the type of lifestyle that you wanted when you became a vet student in the first place: to be a respected member both of a team and the wider community. We give you control over your clinical choices, the use of your time and the direction of your career development.
Good old fashioned values with a new direction and vision.
We are in James Herriott country and we like to provide a good old fashioned ‘GP’ approach to getting to know you and your family members so we can provide the best service.
New equipment, facilities & services
Since taking over the practice we have invested in new equipment, facilities and services for our clients, including:
- painting the Reception and waiting area and reorganising it so that we now have a dedicated dog and cat waiting area.
- introducing a staff room with sofa and relaxing area.
- investing in a new anaesthesia machine & training.
- purchasing two oxygen concentrators as these are more sustainable/environmentally friendly than buying cylinders.
- investing in a new upper respiratory scope.
- upgrading to a quality new CCTV system within the cattery, kennels and stables so we can keep an eye on pets/animals 24 hours per day.
- automating our vaccine reminders by SMS/email.
- introducing paperless billing.
- recruiting a marketing consultant to help us develop the practice.
- introduced regular equine clinics in dentistry and gastroscopy.
- introducing dedicated clinics for cats over 9 years of age and educating ourselves and clients about the importance of blood pressure in cats over 9.
- engaging with our clients for testimonials around products we sell and services we offer.
- actively promoted our in-house acupuncture services.
- being nominated for Practice of the Year in the Petplan Veterinary Awards 2022 & 2023 along with several nominations for team members.
- running our first equine evening on lameness treatment options, attended by 33 clients and professionals, with 100% satisfaction feedback.
- starting on our journey to become Investors In The Environment.
- invested in new IM3 dental equipment
- investment in ventilation units to improve the working environment for the team and for your pets
Ongoing training and support
Our team of vets, nurses and client care teams are involved in practice supported CPD. Lucy and Vicky are certificate holders, Amelia is well on the way to hers.
This last 12 months alone has seen us attend BEVA dental and vetting courses, two sets of Assosciation of Racecourse Vets (ARVS) meetings, BEVA and BSAVA Congresses, London Vet Show and many others.
We organised in-house anaesthesia CPD for both vets and nurses and weekly clinical team updates. Lunch and learn sessions are popular bi-weekly undertakings and Citation provides useful CPD for all staff.
Having a social bond as well as a professional one helps make Station House Vets what it is.
Besides lunchtime dog walks, picnics at work, lunchtime litter picking sessions and general socialising, team members are involved in all manner of equine events including racing, hacking, hunting and riding club activities. We have ladies rugby players, mountain bikers, walkers, runners, climbers and even flamenco dancers amongst us. We often wild swim after work in summer, cycle together or box our horses to the beach.
Cake bakers are seriously respected and we have a range of WhatsApp groups for terrible jokes!
We had a weekly yoga club paid for by the practice over winter and plan an Escape Room and outdoor water adventure and BBQ this summer.
Christmas parties range from crazy golf or the York ghost tour bus and a lovely meal at a local restaurant which can then be followed by clubbing in York. Not for the faint-hearted!
Real coffee machine!
It’s real and it’s really great coffee and we love it. We’re sure you will too!
Here are some examples of articles written by members of our team.