As Scotland’s animal welfare charity, we’ve been on-hand to protect animals and prevent cruelty for 180 years. Over almost two centuries, we’ve grown to become a national charity that celebrates the strength of the human-animal bond and enriches the lives of animals and people.
The Veterinary Department came into being around the turn of the millennium, supporting the Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centres by providing veterinary care to sick, injured, stray, abandoned, neglected and unwanted animals of all the species seen in mainstream small animal practice.
We have three veterinary clinics based in the West of Scotland attached to our Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Centres where have a good array of surgical, diagnostic and medical facilities. Elsewhere around Scotland, we use the services of our Partner Veterinary Practices, including Equine (Aberdeen and Edinburgh).
We are a completely separate charity from the RSPCA, which helps animals in England and Wales. Whilst separate, we work closely with them on many fronts alongside our partners in the other large animal welfare charities around the UK and we are a member of the Association of Dog & Cat Homes (ADCH).
- Watch our Interview the Boss – Ian Futter from Scottish SPCA in Glasgow & VSGD’s Adrian Nelson-Pratt here!
- Watch our Interview the Boss talking about the Head Nurse, Weekend Vet and Forensic Vet positions here!
- Watch back our Interview the Boss, all about Part-time Maternity Veterinary cover and a Weekend Vet vacancy here!
Organisation aims & mission
- We champion animal welfare and encourage respect and kindness for animals across all our communities
- We educate people of all ages about the welfare of animals in our mission to eradicate animal cruelty and create a better future for all of us
- We promote the importance of the human/animal bond, and the myriad medical, social and psychological advantages gained from animal companionship
- We bring those who abuse animals to justice
- We care for, rescue, rehabilitate, release and rehome
- We are Scotland’s animal champions
- Investigating abuse across Scotland, we’re proud to be at the forefront of preventing cruelty to animals. As the only animal charity in the UK recognised as a reporting agency to the Crown Office, our inspectors enforce the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.